Castor oil is an oil derived from the Ricinus communis plant that has been used against various ailments for centuries. There’s a long list of health benefits of the oil. It has mainly been used for digestive and skin problems, but it can also resolve problems such as hair loss. Castor oil and its derivatives are now commonly used in soaps, lubricants and other cosmetic products due to its incredible properties.
Most of the oil’s properties can be attributed to ricinoleic acid in it. The oil is not toxic unlike the seeds of the plan. The oil has been used since ancient times, with traces of it found in the pyramids. Ancient Egyptians used the oil in detox cleanses and for beauty purposes as well. The oil was also used to treat joint inflammation and pain in the form of compress. It’s a simple remedy for a variety of health problems.
And, although castor oil is certainly beneficial on its own, it works much better when used in the form of compress with baking soda. To relieve painful joints and muscles, you need to clean the area with baking soda and water first, then dip a piece of gauze in the oil and apply it on the area. Next, wrap with aluminum foil, then put a bottle with hot water on top. Wrap everything with a towel and relax for an hour. This will keep the area warm and relieve the pain in your joints.
The same compress can be used for other health problems including varicose veins, digestive problems and PMS symptoms. Here’s what castor oil or the combination of baking soda and castor oil can help you with:
- Rub some of the oil on stretch marks to make them disappear;
- Castor oil has been used as a remedy for pilonidal cysts for a long time;
- Rub the oil on your scalp to treat hair loss;
- Mix a bit of baking soda with some castor oil and apply it on dark areas on your skin to whiten them;
- Apply castor oil on minor cuts, burns and wounds to accelerate the healing of the skin;
- Massage the oil on your ankle sprains and minor injuries to recover faster;
- Add 5-6 drops of the oil in a glass of water and drink the mixture every day for 4 months to cure tinnitus;
- If you’re suffering from cataract, a drop of castor oil in your eyes can dissolve it. This only goes for cataract that hasn’t fully developed;
- Put a bit of castor oil on warts every day to eliminate them in just a short time;
- Mix lavender and castor oil and massage your child’s belly to reduce hyperactivity;
- Rub castor oil on your belly to improve your digestion and resolve constipation or diarrhea;
- If you have calcium deposits or calluses on your feet, a bit of castor oil massaged on the area can remove them;
- If you’re a smoker who wants to quit, consuming a few drops of the oil every day can help you ditch the habit;
- If your ears are full of wax, a few drops of the oil in them can dissolve it;
- Apply some castor oil on your eyelids before going to bed to treat conjunctivitis or allergies;
- Massage your neck with castor oil to treat vocal cord nodules and hoarseness;
- If you’re suffering from allergies, consuming 5 drops of castor oil each day can improve the symptoms;
- Massage castor oil on your back to relieve the pain;
- Castor oil is an antifungal agent that can help in cases of Athlete’s foot and similar fungal infections;
- Rub castor oil on your skin to reduce the appearance of moles;
- If you’ve been bitten by an insect and the area itches, castor oil can soothe it;
- A mixture of baking soda and castor oil can fight a variety of chronic health problems;
- Rub the oil on your chest every night before going to bed to stop snoring.
Article and image source: https://holisticlivingtips.com