In order to have a completely optimal health, exposing ourselves to the sun every day is essential. But, if you’re too much exposed, then many issues can appear. Sunshine is the best thing that can help your body make the necessary vitamin D. That’s why, you need to have protected skin and make sure that you don’t get sunburnt. Using sunscreen is a must. In this article, we’re going to present you one of them which is completely natural and without any harmful ingredients!
According to Bruce Fife, this amazing natural oil applied on our skin protects it from different sunburns as well as cancer. The oil doesn’t have the ability to block the UVB rays completely. These are needed for the synthesis of vitamin D. It can help us against different health and skin problems that too much sun exposure can make. We won’t become burnt nor red, but we’ll obtain a nice, light tan that will depend of the time we depend to spend sunbathing.
If we add zinc oxide to it, we’ll obtain a sunscreen of full spectrum that can protect us from the UVB and UVA rays. You can’t be completely protected by a homemade sunscreen, so you need to make sure that you don’t spend much time out in the sun. You need to be careful.
When it comes to the zinc oxide, you need to consider one of a high quality that is especially created for the cosmetic industry and is uncoated as well as isn’t nano-particle grade. Try to use a dust mask so that you could avoid the inhaling of the zinc oxide dust. Adding this mineral into your sunscreen will add some white color on your skin because your skin layers can’t absorb it.
Here, we’re presenting you a natural recipe that you can prepare at home. It is full of different oils and will create a body butter which will be safe for your whole family. Just make sure children don’t eat from it!
Adding beeswax will make it water repellant. Essential oils are an individual choice. Just make sure you avoid citrus oils because they may cause burning because they are phototoxic. If you use carrot seed essential oil you should know that it will leave a natural scent which is woody and earthy.
All of the ingredients in this amazing body butter can be found in any healthy food store or online.
Homemade Coconut Oil Sunscreen Recipe
- 2 tbsp. of beeswax granules
- ¼ of a cup of coconut oil
- 1/8 of a cup of jojoba or sesame oil
- ¼ of a cup of shea butter
- 1 teaspoon of red raspberry seed oil (from 20 to 30 drops)
- 1-2 tbsp. of zinc oxide powder
- Essential oil of your preference (rosemary, peppermint, lavender or vanilla would be the best)
- Take a small pan or a double boiler and melt the beeswax, jojoba or sesame oil and coconut oil along with the shea butter. Wait for a while since the beeswax will be the last one to melt.
- After they’re all melted, leave the mixture to cool down to room temperature. Whisk it for a while because of the zinc oxide, but be careful not to use to make too much dust. Don’t worry if there are lumps.
- Leave the mixture in the fridge for half an hour. It should be that soft so you could whip it.
- Now, take a hand mixer and whip the mixture. Put the essential oil along with the red raspberry seed oil. Whip it continuously until the mixture becomes very fluffy.
- Apply it as any other sunscreen. How much you’ll apply of it will depend on the times you’re exposed to water as well as your activity. Keep it in a glass container in your fridge.
Article and image source: http://thinkorganiclife.com